It finally occured

    I have meet lots of autistic individuals throughout my life, and of course they all have different personalities. Knowing lots of people and hearing their opinions is great and all, but hearing is all I've heard. As you might not heard, all the autistic individuals that I have meet are all verbal. I mean, that's a pretty good thing to hear but I hadn't gotten to met the more severe kids, the ones that actually need my help. I am more than welcome to give them a helping hand at any time, but I just hadn't gotten to meet one of the kids. Even if the kids at my school have a severe disability, they are still verbal which is kind of weird in two ways: Either the numbers are wrong and they're not as many non-verbal individuals as others would say or I am for some reason only able to find verbal autistic individuals and the other non-verbal individuals are somewhere else in the planet. When I thought I was never going to meet a non-verbal individual, I saw him.

    This was about five months ago when I meet him. I had an doctors appointment to attend to. My appointment was at 4:45pm and I arrived around 4pm, so I had a while left. I was waiting impatiently for time to pass by playing and texting on my phone. Since there's a taco bell right across the street, I was given an opportunity to go with my mom to buy a taco. I brought the Doritos local taco (nacho cheese edition) and I have to say, it is quite tasty to savor. Bite by bite, the taste of the taco is too much for the human mouth that you must melt away in love. Once I finished eating my taco, it was 4:20pm and I had to walk back to the doctors. Once I arrived back, I sat down at my seat once again and I was planning to wait 25 minutes without a plan. I was about to text someone but a mom and their child came and sat down right across from me. I quickly observed the family and I quickly realized that the kid had autism, and it was pretty severe.

    How did I know, well for one, he was making lots of unnecessary noises such as mouth-sucking and random yells. Next, he would shake his legs an uncontrollable amount of times. Lastly, he would walk around the place without him possibly even noticing that he was doing so. But something made him stand out, something that I have only heard online, something that changed my view once again on these types of kids. The kid was making lots of noises and the mom grabbed his shoulders, and made him look her straight in the eye, and asked "what's wrong?" The kid said nothing, for like 10 seconds. He just answered in his eyes. That's when I realized that he was non-verbal. For all my life, I have never seen an autistic individual who was non-verbal, but not that I did witness one, it was such a bad experience to witness. I felt bad how he wasn't able to express himself and he was literary trapped in his own mind state. He only thought about himself and didn't even think about the rest of the patients, but it wasn't his fault.

    I observed him for the remaining 25 minutes and once my name was called, I left towards the doctor and as I was about to go towards my room, I looked back and saw that kid for the potentially last time. I closed the door afterwards and I left towards my room. For my first non-verbal individual ever saw, I felt lucky that I am able to speak and that my disability is barely noticeable. The kid made me realize that their are lots of kids like him, and even though he looked quite young, he and the others are going to have a unfortunate life ahead of them. They will have lots of people who don't like them, or accept them, or think that they don't belong in this world. Believe it or not, they do have a function in life and they will surprise you in the end because even though it's considered a "disability", those kids have a huge advantage in life and that is being the best that they could be without anyone stopping them.

    Another blog finished. I am extremely happy that I am able to blog these events so you can get a glimpse of my view. As always, leave a comment if you have anything to say about me or if you have any questions or comments or concerns. Also, follow me if you would like to keep on task with my blogs. I know I hadn't been posting on Saturdays recently but hopefully, I'm able to keep a constant post every Saturday like I promised you guys in the first place :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting through my day

My own loss

more than just a relationship