Believe it or not, there is a good side

    By now, all of you should know that thanks to my autism, I had become someone that I never thought I would become. All my experiences, goals, and relationships have brought me up to this day, and most of it wasn't pretty. I know, I can never get rid of my disability, the other side of me, but that's what I always wished for because of my past, where I was insecure and everyone would choose me as the laughingstock. Sure, maybe it's bad for me, but others with the disability live their life happy and carefree, which I want everyone to live. Lots of people care about these individuals, want the best for them, despite the circumstances, and sometimes even forget that such 'disability' ever exists. I have read many stories about parents with kids, or just a parent's point of view, or even some with the disability itself. Many don't really interest me, or appeal to my liking, but some actually touch my heart, and it causes me to get a huge smile on my face.

    Moms, they want the best for their kids, despite the outcome. Any danger, troubles, mishaps, the moms are there to help. Most mom with kids on the spectrum don't always understand why their kids do certain things, which is fine, but they also try to stop the certain thing from happening again, which is wrong. An example was when I read a story about a mom whose son would always gather his toys and make a straight line across the living room. The mom didn't understand why the kid would do such a thing, and disliked it so she wanted to stop the son from doing it again. What do I have to say? If it doesn't make sense to you, then leave it alone. Obviously the kid had a purpose to do that, and it isn't very helpful to stop a habit that the kid really enjoys, especially if it isn't a bad habit. So, that mom wasn't that supportive, but there's moms like this one, who really makes the world a more supportive one, and quite frankly, a better one. A family were inside a store at a mall, and their son would frequently black out and enter their own world, usually 10-15 minutes. He was not to be interrupted by during the blackouts, as the result could be loud. The kid sat down next to the door at a designer store, and went into another blackout. The family noticed their son, and instead of being like some moms where they would get their kids by the hand, they actually waited for their son to complete his blackout. That is really supportive because it shows that the family is willing to cope with the son's problems and doesn't force him out of his comfort zone. She did the right thing by waiting for their son which didn't only benefit him, it benefitted the family since they didn't hear any yells coming out from him.

    What about school? If you guys have read my past blog (way back, like 5 or 6 back), I showed some autistic statistics where according to some credible charts, only 14% of all USA students with disabilities are in all regular ed classes, meaning that the majority have some or all special ed classes. Obviously the students understand why there in a special ed setting, so the teachers have to make sure that they give the students the required information for the school year, while coping with the kids skills. The majority get a extra helper since they can't handle all the kids, which is fine, but some teachers actually manage to do it all by their own. An example was a teacher at my intermediate school, where the special ed teacher who thought language arts, was able to handle all the kids on her own. I never had her class (obviously since I mainstreamed at the first grade) but her class was not too far from my 4th period. I would walk pass her class the majority of my school year, and since those kids had her for both 3rd and 4th, they wouldn't have any passing period, meaning that I could observe them as I pass by. I saw them, obeying the teacher, doing their required work, and having a blast. One time as I passed, I overheard a conversation between her and a student (she talked loud and the kids weren't walking fast in the hallway). The teacher asked the student "is anything troubling you?" The student responded "I don't understand my classwork." That teacher was able to cope with the student in such a simple way, and I bet she did that the whole year. She looked like she was motivated to help these kids pass her class, and help them with any other problems.

    To conclude this blog, I just briefly want to point out that their are lots of individuals that still don't realize the true facts of people on the autism spectrum, and it's leading towards the contribution that lots of people misjudge the individuals for their owns false beliefs. I for one had to learn this at a very young age, because of the fact that many people discriminated me for who I was, and everything that has occurred led up to the terrible climax that was 8th grade. It's sort of unbelievable that I, a teenage boy, who's a high school sophomore, has to close the gap of people believing that individuals on the spectrum are inferior and less when compared to normal individuals. When an autistic teenage male tries to spread awareness on autism, you know that something is wrong with the community.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting through my day

My own loss

more than just a relationship