Since when is different bad?

    I'm considered different, my cousin is considered different, so what? Is there anything wrong with being different? In today's society, if you're autistic, you're considered different in a awful way. Hand-flapping, annoying noises, reduced speaking, that's actually considered bad for the majority of the population. I mean for me being different is probably better in my scenario, since it actually increases my intelligence, but what about my cousin, who repeats every single word on his video games. I don't mind at all, since I understand that it's part of his personality and that's what he likes, despite his mom thinking otherwise. It annoys me that because of this so called different is "bad," we as the individuals have to suffer, and don't we have it bad already? From the eyes of someone who hates autistics, I'm seen as an abomination to the rest of the autistic community because I'm not the autistic person that people first think right away when they hear the word autism. This is greatly shown with my aunts and uncles, in which the only reason why I even mention them constantly is because they make great examples of people who bully me, but hey, that's on them. When I first read my IEP report secretly since my mom would hide them from me around the 4th grade, it got me so mad that the community thinks that being different is a bad thing.

    When I was younger, I had many amazing qualities which enabled me to see the world in a different perspective. I love dogs, and I know, that's normal for a bunch of people, but here's where the similarities end. Since where I live pets aren't allowed, I substituted my desire for a real dog for many pictures of different dogs. I would purchase many books that were dog-centered and I would perfectly cut the dogs, and remove all of the background. At one point, I remember having around 300 dogs scattered around my bedroom walls, each with there own names (I only remember the names Jeffery and Fefe.) My mom of course found this to be creepy and strange, but I kept saying that this was a substitution for a real dog. After a week of "feeding" my dogs and kissing all of them before I slept (which I remember taking about 10 minutes), my mom snapped and told me to remove all the dogs off my wall. At the age of nine, it was normal for me to cry and ask why should I do such a thing. I didn't get the memo at the time and completely misunderstood the whole thing. I didn't realize that my own mom was considering me different in a bad way (even though she has done it so many times before) until the age of 14. I didn't bring it up to my mom because at that point half a decade passed, but it's still something that gets me mad about my mom, and something that I wish she never did.

    I'm also not so diverse in the eating section. I'm not as limited as other kids, but I don't like lots of things to eat nonetheless. So of course, once in a while I won't eat what someone has served in a party or something, but I shouldn't be made fun of for this. Like I mentioned before, my aunts and uncles are trash and terrible people for bullying me, but it's fine now because I'm actually going to a college at some point. Anyhow, if you guys have been keeping up with my blogs, you guys will totally remember the following incident, since it's the worst one ever. My mom left me and my sister at a family gathering since she had to run some errands. All of my cousins were inside the house playing video games, but I decided to get some food since I arrived late. All my aunts and uncles were eating outside on a bench like pigs while I checked what they had to offer. Nothing appealed to me, so I was thinking of having my mom bring me something later on. One of my aunts (the one that I kind of like, but not really) said "you been up there for three minutes, anything wrong?" I explained to her how I don't like anything that they had here so my mom was going to bring me something instead. One of my uncles overheard (the one that I hate the most) stood up and said "don't even bother, he never eats anything." I knew where this was going, so I wanted to stay strong and walk away until he yells "of course, walking away, typical autistic individual." He made fun of me two times before, but I wasn't going to handle it this time. I turned around making towards them making sure that all my rage was showing, as I yelled "why don't I yell your flaws now. Let's see, whenever you drink, you can't even stand on your feet, you need all that extra support, and your so fat!" Everyone actually started to laugh at him now and I felt a small firework of victory go off inside me. Point is, it sucks that I have to defend myself just to fit in.

    Okay, so I pointed out all of my things, but what about others, and no, I don't mean my cousin. I bet everyone remembers the fidget spinner situation. Ya, it didn't go so great after just a month, and it was a huge downside for those who actually needed one. This one kid last year in my Algebra 1 class had just ADHD and required something to fidget for a while. When the fidget spinners became popular, he was the first in the class to pick one up, and it helped him concentrate. This was probably the case with most people who purchase the spinner, as it was designed to help them in the classroom, and I'm pretty sure it helped that kid in the classroom. With all the memes based on fidget spinners, other kids abusing it, and people simply saying that whoever uses fidget spinners are autistic, and whoever says that is stupid since it wasn't even targeted towards that audience. People basically inferred that people that used fidget spinners are different in a bad way, so lots of strict laws were made school-wise. My school was one of the many that banned the fidget spinner due to the bad popularity, and lots of people who actually needed the spinner now had to go search for alternatives. This just proves that society is making it harder and harder for those who are "different" to actually embrace there different side, and how they should just stick to being normal, even if the individual has to struggle.

    Before the blog ends, just a few more side notes. This was just a quick blog to get back on my feet, I'll make better quality ones soon. Also, make sure you guys follow me to keep up with my latest blogs, since I know you wouldn't want to miss those. I know it's also kind of late to mention this but I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving, and I also hope that everyone will have a great Christmas or Hanukah. Lastly, I want to thank everyone for telling me that my blogs are inspiring. That's my goal from all of this, and I'm glad that I can impact many people who are struggling in some way, it really means a lot :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting through my day

My own loss

more than just a relationship