1 in 59

    When you're out and about in the community, there's now a 15% higher chance of finding someone with autism. Last week, a graph was unveiled to the public which stated that the ratio of individuals with autism, versus the individuals that aren't is now standing at 1 to 59. This community is slowing growing, so it's really important now that more people play a role in learning more about the disability itself, at the very least. From experience, it would be way better for a community in which everyone understands why you're different, and being accepted. Society is not great at all currently, and with these rates increasing, now would be a good time to make a change, for my sake, and everyone else's. People say that being 1 in 59 is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Hearing it from my family, kids, even parents of children with autism, I now understand that that's not the case. It simply means, we're going to experience the world a little differently, and we need extra guidance along the way to make sure we're allowed to keep our different desires. Imagine a entire world who taught the same way I did, how much better would society be? In todays blog, I'm going to explain how you can cope with just about any individual on the spectrum. Side note, I'm not going to list any of my personal stories like all of my other blogs, but it's still a very important blog nonetheless.

    Like I've implored a countless number of times in the past, acceptance has to be the most important way of helping someone on the spectrum in my opinion. It's so simple yet a very difficult task for many people to actually achieve, my family included. By accepting someone on the spectrum, you accept their differences. That's really important in my opinion, because those differences can range from not liking new foods to a boy carrying a girls doll in public. That's not to day you are forced to accept many things from kids, such as desires of guns (I knew someone on the spectrum who was obsessed with guns (no not Nikolas Cruz, that's not funny), that should be taken seriously. It would've been very helpful for my mom to understand that I line up toys for a reason, and she shouldn't have kicked them because she found it annoying, or that I'm a very creative person who made paper crafts and books, and it shouldn't have been something that was laugh worthy by my family. I feel like making these improvements would really help this community feel safer as a result, since it allows us to express ourselves purely, and not someone that we aren't. For those of you that don't know, I have to live a double life in public. I basically have to mask my disability, and that means many things. I can't support someone on the spectrum besides my cousin because lots of people find that weird, so my biggest passion is out. I also have to hide my disability from my own best friends, because despite them being amazing with me and they act like my brothers that I wish I had, I just simply can't say anything to them. Especially at my current teenage years, where I'm growing and learning new things everyday, being confined to someone that I really don't feel comfortable being isn't me or anyone at all. This is where acceptance comes in. Imagine my life with acceptance playing a part, how much better would it be? For parents with kids, I would implore you guys to teach your kids how to accept people with disabilities if you hadn't, because if it would make my life better, I can bet you it would change other people's lives for the better as well. I believe in a world where people are more accepting about people with disabilities, which in the long run would really benefit society. In order for that to happen however, everyone has to do their part in accepting someone not liking certain foods, yelling out of nowhere, you know, things people don't really like. If people can simply just accept, I can promise we can make a difference.

    What about people that don't know much about the disability? For those that don't go beyond the fundamentals of the spectrum, being autistic can mean a bunch of different things for many people. My aunts and uncles say I have a disease (they might be insulting me with that one, but knowing them it's most likely them being uneducated), one of my other cousins' once said that me and my other cousin were sick. There's many people that when first heard that I had autism, were shocked to see me because they were expecting someone retarded. There's even people that act like I had the choice to be disabled or not! All of those are only a few of many common misconceptions that roaming around society everyday. Imagine someone thinking about you or your child as stupid, a threat to society, or inferior, that's how many people actually view the community. Here's a few stories that just show how uneducated society is at the moment. Very recently, a family lived in a apartment. The mother was making a living alone, working her butt off while taking care of her two sons on the spectrum. One of them was high-functioning, and the other one was low-functioning. The latter child would always yell and make random noises, and at times hit random things. Everyone else in the apartment, including the manager made a letter to that family, and when they sent it to her, it was the worst thing someone could've read. It basically said, put your annoying child in a specialized care facility or leave within a week. For starters, was it like the mother could've done much to help the situation. She works a job, takes care of her two children alone, that's a real dedicated mother right there, and she is surely trying her best. None of them deserved to read that letter, as it was very wrong of them to even create in the first place. Another one that I read a couple of months ago. A mother and her son were at a T-Mobile paying her phone, and the son wouldn't calm down at all. Grabbing many phones on displays and using them uncontrollably, the mother eventually snapped. She hit the kid and the kid instantly fell to the ground yelling. That's not the worst, instead of people just minding their business, some people had the courage to say, make your son shut up. To begin, it doesn't work that way. Many people assume that kids who are having meltdowns are spoiled brats who cry because they don't get what they want. That's not what a meltdown is, a meltdown is a completely different thing. These two stories alone should show how ignorant society still is, and how their still has to be some improvements done in this specific aspect in order to make a change.

    Coping in my opinion is another huge aspect of helping others on the spectrum. For those who think this, it's not the same as acceptance. Look at it this way, I had a huge passion for paper crafts. If my mom understood that it was one of my huge strengths, she could've put me in some art classes to advance my gift. Instead, my mom threw away many of them due to lack of storage in my room, along with saying their pointless. Another more common example, my school knew my strengths in school, I doubt they wouldn't check my progress frequently and ignoring the fact that I kept doing well on every state test. Starting in elementary school, I excelled in my classes and I was on my way to being a star student. The staff could've placed me in a class that would've challenged my skills. Reality had different plans. What really happened is that RSP denied my request to place me an any accelerated classes, and I was forced to stay in a regular ed setting with extra support, where I wasn't able to challenge myself at all. Some of you probably also remember my eight grade incident with the whole high school counselors. Lets just say they didn't do a good job of coping throughout the whole event at all. See where this is going? It's hard to allow someone on the spectrum to feel safe and accepted by people when you don't acknowledge their strength and their desires. When we like something, we stick to it for a long time. My cousins' mom did cope to some extent when he went through his lalaloopsy phase (that's how we actually call it whenever one of us brings the topic up), which was very helpful of her to do. At first, when he first brought his first doll, I saw her face in confusion as she didn't really like the idea that he was playing with a girls toy. After a year later (better late than never), she figured that he needed some variety in his life. She then walked in and out of target with new toys, understanding that if this is what he likes, everyone should accept that decision. Now I want to point something out, the definition of coping is: (of a person) deal effectively with something difficult (yes I copied and pasted the definition (: ). I don't really like to see it that way, because people shouldn't feel uncomfortable with making these decisions. Rather, I like to see it that were improving the situation for a better outcome. I like to see things in a positive matter, and it holds very true here. Coping is another way that can improve the lives of people with disabilities, and with some effort, it can be a matter of time before the world changes for the better.

    The number of individuals with autism is growing, and the number of people making an effort to help this community should as well. I see so many people every day that don't make the effort of making a cause at all, and it's really sad because there's so many people that are working their butts off in making a cause. I hope you guys enjoyed my blog, and inspired you that 1 in 59 individuals just want a better environment where we feel like were divergent because were forcing ourselves to do so. If you enjoyed today's blog, why not hit that follow button so you can read my new blogs before they're made public. As always, have a great day everyone :)

Comments

  1. Excelent!!!! #aspie here too. Glad to find your blog. My blog is www.beanatypicalgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting through my day

My own loss

more than just a relationship