Accepetance is key

    Accepting anyone is pretty important, let alone someone with autism. We rely on people accepting us despite being different, so we can feel like the world accepts us. I never got the chance to feel what accept felt like from my family, because none of them had a clue as how to raise me. Instead of feeling accepted by my own family, I felt like I didn't fit in at all and no one liked me because of who I was. It slowly began to make its way outside from my family, and soon enough, teachers, social workers, and anyone that knew about my disability, didn't accept me for who I was. Trust me when I was that accepting someone with autism is probably the most helpful thing that you can do. Why you may ask, because it allows us to feel comfort and relieved that people accept us for not being like the rest of the world. Since no one ever accepted me, I eventually had to accept myself. This was around the beginning of high school, when I realized that I was getting older, and I had to start taking all of my accomplishments into consideration. I mean sure, I was able to receive acceptance at one point, but it would've been way better if someone else could've done the same, even a random stranger. In today's blog, I'm going to write about why accepting someone with autism is huge.

    Let's take my cousin as a first example. His mom accepts him, his friends accept him, I accept him. As a result, he can be himself anywhere he wants, and he's happy for being who he is. I mean sure, he's had his once in a while individual who wouldn't accept him for who he is (The staff member from school who made fun of him because he carried a girl's toy is an example), but for the most part, him feeling accepted has had a better impact on him. He was happy when he carried his Lalaloospy toy wherever he wanted to. He was happy when he was able to line all of his toys from his bedroom all the way to the living room. I never felt that way at any point in my life. I had to hide everything and pretend to be a different person just so I could gain respect from others (which still didn't work at all so their was no point in trying). I allowed people to get the best of me, and my own cousin beat me to it. I'm glad that I see him once in a while, and I see the person I wish I was a few years ago, because he is able to have a higher self-esteem, and of course it makes him a overall better person. His mom has a bunch to do with this. She makes his disability basically nonexistent. She used to cope with all of his meltdowns, blackouts, random phases, just so she can accept his own son. I wish my mom could've done the same, but sadly, I guess I wasn't meant to feel accepted at all. Another thing, he has friends that accept him, and my friends don't know about my disability. I've seen his friends once in a while, and they're always running around the house, doing homework or projects, or just hanging out. He also accepts his friends as well, since one of his friends is always scratching his head as a habit, but he doesn't seem to mind. He has all these people that accept him for who he is, and I never had one single person who accepted me. Sure, in the sixth grade, I had a group of friends that did accept me, but not for who I truly was. Who can blame them though, since I have never disclosed my disability with none of them. I feel scared and anxious when I want to tell them my big secret, because I don't know how they're going to respond. This one time, we were watching a video on Albert Einstein and the teacher mentioned that he was autistic (wasn't a surprise for me was it was for the rest of the students). Anyhow, I had a friend for the same period and when we came out, I mentioned, Albert Einstein was autistic? What a shocker. She responded "I never knew autistic people could've been smart." I have not told my friends about my secret yet because they're not fully aware yet.

     As I already mentioned, my family doesn't accept me for who I am, but I want to further explain more. My aunts and uncles, as I have mentioned a countless number of times don't and will never like me. They have said it right in front of face, joking at me, making fun at me, and in some cases, bullying me. They are the reason why I have felt like no one has ever accepted me, because they're my own blood, and family is supposed to stick with each other, not in this case. Since my own family was bullying me, I assumed that everyone else was going to treat me the same. I couldn't do anything to stop them from discriminating me, because not defending myself would have gotten me in trouble, and defending myself would've gotten me in bigger trouble. Because they didn't accept me, I hated myself for a very long time. I would sometimes lock myself in my room and start crying for hours, or telling myself that no one likes me. Whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas would come, instead of being happy for the holidays like anyone else would, I would try to persuade my mom to not take me to my cousins house because I knew my aunts and uncles were going to be there, and I did not want to see their faces for even a second. About two years ago, I figured that I can sometimes avoid everyone all together by locking myself in their room or restroom. Up to this date, I still do this, because yes, they still make fun of me, but now, at least I'm old enough to not allow their words to get into my head. Look at how much them not accepting me has gone to. Them making fun of me, and me crying by myself for hours as a result. Accepting someone is really important as you can see, because I never got any acceptance and look at how it ended out for me. It's sad that my own family, the people that are supposed to be there for me when I need a helping me, are the ones that have been tormenting me throughout my entire childhood. I've only been bullied once in school, but not even that did more damage to me than one single joke that my aunts and uncles have told me. One of the jokes was when I was about 12. I began to yell at them because I was once again losing my temper since they were making fun of me. One of my uncles said "Look, why don't you just stop playing around with my food and start eating it like a normal person. Oh wait, can you even do that?" These kind of mean jokes were always told at me and it made me feel inferior. It's sad that this is what happens when you don't accept someone.

    I have pretty much shown why you need to accept someone with autism, because I'm still not finished. My friends don't know about my secret, but I really wish they would. Whenever I'm going through something, I always rely on my friends to help me out and make my day better. When I'm going through something because of my disability however, I can't rely on anyone to help me out. I really wish like with any problem, I can also express myself to someone about my problems and ways to fix them. I hadn't told my friends about my secret because I don't feel like they would be able to help me. They most likely know about autism and what it sort of is, but I don't feel like they know everything about it, and it would be useless to tell them my secret if they wont be able to help me at these times. Plus, if I tell them, they most likely see an autistic individual as someone that a bunch of average people would imagine a autistic individual, so once I tell them that I am autistic, they wouldn't ever imagine that I'm one of those people. It's just something that I want to avoid for my sake. So ya, I never really had anyone that accepted me for who I am, which is pretty sad for me because no one ever liked me for who I was. My own mom didn't understand why I would sometimes line up toys, and she got annoyed by it and would tell me to stop it. I wish someone would help my family accept me for who I am, because I would really like my family to accept me who I am, and would see me as a very happy, caring, and creative person. I was able to see my disability as a gift, but sadly, my family sees my disability, as a disability, something negative that they wish I would never have.

    I hope my blog that I wrote today inspired you to accept someone with autism, because it really helps them lighten their day. I went through so much because I didn't feel accepted from my own family, stuff that affected me for years. As always, please share your opinions by leaving a comment below. And also, please hit the follow button in my blog if you want to see my blogs earlier before I announce them. As always, have a nice day :)

    Accepting someone with autism is the most important thing you can do for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting through my day

My own loss

more than just a relationship